"the places you visit is one thing, the people you meet and spend it with is a whole different thing that completely defines the whole meaning of it" - chi

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Foodie: Pinikpikan

One of the authentic dish of Sagada is the "Pinikpikan", which in my understanding could also be called "battered chicken". We got the chance to eat this dish when we invite "Awingan" to have beer with us later since it is our last night. He told us that instead of hanging out at the Salt and Pepper for dinner and booze, he told us to try the Pinikpikan House instead and have a drink after. Kimi and I both agreed and told my mom where were having dinner. 



Pinikpikan with brown rice

The reason why I called it "battered chicken" is, what they do they just beat the chicken to death. They don't slit the throat or even bother to drain the blood of the chicken. They want the blood to cloth on the arteries throughout the whole body, does giving it the authentic taste. It looks like a "nilagang chicken" because of the vegetable is comes with, but it has more oil floating on top of the soup (maybe it's because of the blood in the chicken). Now for the taste test. I watch kimi have a sip first before I try it. She said it was fine if you're adventurous when it comes to food. It was my turn to taste because my mom wanted me to taste it first before she does. Took a sip on a spoon..... and it tasted weird. I've never tasted anything like it. The broth was the one that tasted weird, but the chicken itself tasted ok though. It has a piece of pork to lessen the taste of chicken broth. My mom tasted it and she went "eeeeewwwww"..... she ordered another food which is an omelet. She gave her pinikpikan to kimi, and I just ate my chicken avoiding the broth. For those who have taste for something unusual, then you should try it. 

After eating, we ordered some booze. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment