"the places you visit is one thing, the people you meet and spend it with is a whole different thing that completely defines the whole meaning of it" - chi

Sunday, January 15, 2012

I have fallen for/in Sagada: The feelings

Last June 2011, 3 of my closest friend in the office decided to have a trip in Baguio. Just a 2 days, 1 night stay only since we can't be gone too long in the office. Immediately after returning here in Manila. Kimi told me that she wanted to go to Sagada the next time we have a trip. I asked her where it is, and she told me that it's a 6 hours bus ride from Baguio. At first I was skeptical about the idea, 6 hours more from Baguio is a bit far. But after all the things that's been going on with our lives, I agreed to come with her. For 6 months we've looked forward to our trip. And Kimi carefully researched about Sagada on what is the cheapest and the best way we can enjoy it.

January this year, the week had finally come. We we're more excited than before and we couldn't contain ourselves anymore. Day of travel, we started our adventure from the Victory Liner Pasay Terminal. I say, deciding to take the Deluxe bus is one  the best decision I made. Arriving 2 hours early from a usual bus ride, we immediately made our way to the Bus terminal that leaves for Sagada. The possibility that awaits us there is running through our mind during the 6 hours ride. We were speechless with all the wonderful scenery that we've witnessed on our way to Sagada. But little did we know, that adventure is only a part of what will be left in our hearts by the beautiful province of Sagada.

When we've finally arrived at our inn, we only rested for a while and had some brunch. With the idea of adventure still on our mind, we got ready for the hiking tour. Our original guide was Mr. Jake, but he decided to let James also known as Awingan to be our guide because he's not feeling well. Awingan shaked our hands and smiled. Our first stop was the "Burial Cave" where we saw some old coffins that were made by their ancestors. Next stop was the "Sumaging Cave", where in we had our first time experience of what they called Spelunking. Awingan explained the things that were in cave as we make our way deep down. Helping us in every way as he can, holding our hands :) , giving us pep talk as we pass a difficult obstacles and making some side jokes. Too bad for him, nababara ko yung ibang punch line niya. hehehe. Going inside the Sumaging cave is one of the best experienced we ever had. As we returned to our inn, I can feel in my legs the pain it went through during our Spelunking but I did not mind.

On our second day, our first stop was the Pongas Falls, unfortunately we did not make it to the exact falls because the way is too steep. Regardless of our failure, our way through the falls was an awesome trip as it is. We got to see their own rice terraces and beautiful scenery. We even got see some of the locals. Walking along the side of the rice terraces was a bit slippery, good thing our oh so helpful guide Awingan was there to our rescue. He holds our hand as we walk across the terraces one by one. (that soft and tight grip that assuring me that I'll never fall simply made everything okay). He was more assistive with my mom and kimi kasi pareho kaliwa paa nila. They are more prone to slipping. There was one this one crossing na may gap sa daan. On  Awingan's funny side, he just leaned back on the stone, smiled as if he's saying "kaya mo na yan" and just watched me cross it. I think I remember him saying na mabilis daw ako. I don't really know if he meant mabilis ako matuto, or kaya ko sarili ko, or mabagal ako maglakad dahil lagi ako asa likod. But regardless, I'm still happy that na hindi niya kami pinabayaan. After our lunch we headed to the Sagada Weaving, Pottery and supposedly the museum but it was close. Our last stop was Danum Lake and since it was still early to get back to our inn. Awingan suggested if we wanted to wait for the sunset. And I'm a sucker for a beautiful sunset, we all agreed to wait for it. While waiting for the sun down, Awingan decided to make a bonfire to keep us warm. The spot was perfect. Also we decided to invite him for a beer later after the tours. I was scared to ask him because he might say no, so I forced Kimi to do the deed. As we watch the sunset, I heard the sound of the wind as it blows the leaves of the trees. For a moment there, I realized I was still, not thinking about anything. And there and then, my love for Sagada became deeper. After dinner we got lucky to have a bonfire with the guide at the back of a pinikpikan house. There we had a history talk from Kuya Gustavio, I'm not really sure if that was his real name because he was drunk already. Awingan was a bit quiet I was hoping he'll be the one to do all the talking and stuff, but I guess not. Kimi was starting to get drunk so we decided to go back and have a rest.

Our last day. Yes it was with a heavy heart to say that we're about to go home. The driver of the van who is also the guide picked us up at 5:00 AM to watch the Sunrise. We were waiting for Awingan but he did not come. To be honest, I was sad because I won't be able to him on our last day. On top on the mountain still thinking about Awingan not being there, my last day could have been ruined. But the other guy said, Andyan si Awingan sumunod. I looked up and heard a motobike drive away and saw Awingan. (by now you would have guess that for me, he's not just a guide ). I was so happy to see that he is there. Although he didn't talk to us, a smile is enough. Watching the sunrise was really really awesome and I realized that standing on top of a mountain gave me fear of heights.

We had breakfast on the Rock Inn and I noticed that Awingan is more quieter than usual. While waiting for the food, I decided to step out and have a looked around, kimi followed to take some shots and did Awingan. As I looked at him, overwhelmed with the thing I'm feeling, I decided to talk to kimi about it. I told her, "gusto mo ba yung guide natin?" and she said "yes. Actually may crush nga ako sa kanya." I laugh and I told her, "kilala na nga kita." Because I can see it in her eyes the she also liked him. I told her that "kulang na lang magkadugtong bituka natin.". Then we went inside to have our breakfast. As we leave the Rock Inn, I opened the door and told kimi and mom thank you for coming balik po sila. Turned my head towards Awingan and saw him smiling. That smile was the one thing I'll never forget from him. As they drop us off our inn, he's only farewell words was "happy trip". And that made me really sad. As we wait for the bust to depart. Kimi and I talked about our adventure in Sagada and about Awingan. We were both hoping that he would come by to say goodbye. But he didn't come. We we're both sad leaving Sagada and not being able to say goodbye to him.

A week have passed now, we still talked about Sagada and most especially him. We even have this thing called "na-aawing" na naman tayo everytime we talk. So yeah, thank you Awingan for giving us a wonderful time in Sagada, for showing us more than it's beauty but also the heart of it. We're hoping to see you again as our guide.


No comments:

Post a Comment